Monday, May 3, 2010

It’s good to have goals

Since returning from Thailand and becoming a student again, I’ll be honest, I’ve fattened up.  Maybe it was the winter hibernation, maybe it was moving to a less physical job, maybe it’s because Matt enjoys cooking so much, or maybe it’s just because I’m not 20 years old anymore.  Doesn’t matter what it was, I’ve gained weight and am now past the body size and physical condition I’m comfortable with.  But, I have a problem with going to the gym.  I’ve never been good at exercise that I deem as “non-productive”.  For years I took Tae Kwon Do and Muai Thai kickboxing, and to me, that’s a form of productive exercise; I’m developing skills I can use in real life.  It’s for this reason that I’ve dabbled in yoga from time to time, but it’s never stuck.  What the fuck do I use stork stances for in my day to day life?  It’s the same reason I can’t go to the gym and run on the treadmill or elliptical machine for an hour straight: I’m just too practical.   But I’ve recently acquired a full-time job at a greenhouse on the edge of town, about 9 km from our house.  My plan is to bike there and back as much as I can physically handle.  I figure 18 km of biking every day, plus 8 hours of working outdoors with trees and shrubberies should take care of my nasty winter weight.  If the first few days don’t kill me, I am going to feel awesome by the end of this summer.

2 comments:

Lojo said...

I've been thinking similar things about myself. I think this requires a blog post.

Awesome to have goals! I need to develop some of those :)

Dylan Laine said...

DO IT TO IT BABY!!!