Thursday, April 16, 2009

Complete change of life plans week

As people may or may not be aware, upon concluding my ESL-teaching experience [specific date is still TBA(I know, so sad)] I had been planning to return to university and complete the required courses to become a high-school teacher.   I enjoyed teaching Kindergarten, but quickly realized it would be unfulfilling and monotonous as a career choice.  No worry, thought I.  I shall teach high school in my home country, where the kids are better behaved and where I will have the last opportunity of their required-schooling lives to install in them excitement towards learning that I have.  Unfortunately, it turns out that all students of all ages in every country are complete shit heads and I am seriously reconsidering this life path.  

From the sounds of things, the way the education system is going in every part of the world seems to be tying the hands of the teachers and putting all the power in the classroom into the hands of the [shithead] students.  Hearing the stories of recently graduated teachers and the little control they are given over not only what they teach and how they teach it, but even how they are allowed to deal with disruptive students has successfully detoured me from entering the education system.  This all sounds far too frustrating and bureaucratic for someone with my personality. 

I can’t won’t have people telling me constantly ‘you can’t do that’ and yet offering no alternatives.  Or worse yet, offering ineffective alternatives and further frustrating me. 
I can’t won’t spend my life filling out paperwork regarding problem children for parents (who don’t give a shit about their kids anyway) to sign and return to me so I can give them whatever state-approved “disciplinary” action is still allowed. 
I can’t won’t spend my life passing students who don’t deserve it and letting kids get away with doing nothing, never trying and not valuing the education that they are being GIVEN… FOR FREE. 
I can’t won’t spend my life frustrated and stressed out, taking my work home with me night after night and feeling as though I’ve accomplished nothing.  Not even if it comes with 2 months of summer holidays. 
It seems as though the idea of becoming a teacher is like a Kevin Smith movie or Communist government; it looks good on paper but seems to fall short in practice.

As you can imagine, this was startling at first, since I thought I had successfully planned a serious portion of what remains of my 20’s.  But better I realize this now, before wasting thousands of more dollars on education I won’t use.  So, staying true to myself, after taking my aggression out on some random individuals who [most likely] deserved it, I rolled with the punches and considered a new idea: a career in publishing, ie: book editor.  This career path presents several pros and only one con.  For Dwayne, I will get this con out of the way first:

A career in publishing will require me to change my major to (gasp) Linguistics and Languages.  This major falls into the category of (gasp) Arts.  :(  I will have to pursue a Bachelor of (gasp) Arts, with a major in Linguistics and Communications.  This will effectively place me into a group of individuals I have been making fun of for the last 4-6 years.   artsdegree

Karma?  Probably.  I like to think it’s not as bad as it sounds, being that Linguistics is essentially the science of language and I will be enforcing upon the world the rules of grammar, which I will soon know inside and out.

Karmic retribution and personal embarrassments aside, I will (ideally) get paid to do several things I love:  Read books before anyone else even knows about them, be a grammar/spelling Nazi, and criticize others’ work.  I can’t believe I never thought of this sooner, considering I used to be editor of the local newspaper, my high school yearbook, and I’m constantly finding errors in everything I read and have a seemingly uncontrollable urge to correct all peoples’ grammar every single day and takeover editorial positions of all publications I read.  I’ve edited the schoolwork of countless friends and classmates and always demand perfection from myself on the proofreading front.  I guess I never considered trying to get paid for something that brings me so much personal satisfaction, but correct me if I’m wrong in saying that might be the ideal outcome of a career you’re well-suited to. 

These websites made me feel pretty confident that this would be a decent career choice for me, but the only concern of mine is now my employability…which I will worry about AFTER I finish my (do you want fries with that?) degree.

Further reading:

http://chavelaque.blogspot.com/2006/08/faq-2-how-do-i-become-book-editor.html
http://www.atotalwaste.com/getajob/BookEditor.html
http://www.fabjob.com/bookeditor.asp?affiliate=593
http://mediacareers.about.com/od/mediajobprofiles/a/BookEditor.htm

5 comments:

deedub said...

Arts isn't bad, it's just got a bad name from a lot of the people who failed out of it. Just like having a degree doesn't make you better than everyone else, being in arts doesn't magically make you a typical "artsie;" you are who you are and your college won't change that.

I'm in Engineering and in my GE classes I can honestly say I hate the average Engineering student as much as an artsie. One thing that I don't envy for you is having to attend some of those arts classes. I have an EE course this term and I want to put 68% of the students in that class into consciousness-terminating sleeper holds. I feel an arts experience would end in a similar result (maybe for you, too).

twitch said...

You're right, but I've come to realize that I hate everyone in every country all the time, so I'll have to deal with it.
I know I took that History 122 class at the same time as a Philosophy class right before I left and everyday I had something/someone new to write about, so if anything it will give this blog more material. Hilarious in nature, hopefully. The stupidity of the average post-secondary student is actually shocking.

Lojo Beautiful said...

I had no idea that you were pursuing a teaching career, although I can relate to your reasons for now shying away from that path.

People like you and the D-Dub have a rare form of intelligence that I would (at least consider) whoring myself out to attain, simply because it is employable and valued by society in a way that many other forms of intelligence are not. While a piece of my soul cringes to hear you say that you are considering pursuing an arts degree, I do think it is important to follow your passions, regardless. You seem like a very focused person, on top of being superbly intelligent, so I am sure you will excel in whatever you do.

Please note that I just gave you a verbal hand job.

Yes, the average arts student will most likely chip away at your will to live, but learning how to put up with sheep is a skill that you will utilize again, and again, and again throughout your life.

My only piece of advice is to avoid making the same mistake that myself and many other arts grads have made: do not wait until you have graduated to worry about employability. If you are going to pursue an area like this, which offers next to no practical training, you will have to be aggressive at your game while you are working at your degree, otherwise you will end up super sizing extra value meals after its completion.

I look forward to the day when I can supply you with rare felines and you can repay me by getting me published.

twitch said...

Does being aggressive at my game while in school mean work experience or murdering my potential competition? Please advise. Physics was never aggressive...

Lojo Beautiful said...

Most definitely.

In the very least, push them into a life of meth addiction. Simply promoting them to drop out may also work, as the average arts student is fond of conformity and lacks basic, critical thinking skills.