Saturday, January 10, 2009

Stolen New Year Discussion

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Lived and worked in a third world country.

2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I think I intended to quit Co-op early last year, and I definitely did that.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Surprisingly no, but there's one coming soon.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandma.

5. What countries did you visit?
Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
An mini-tiger pet.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 28th, because it is the day I left my family for what would be the longest stretch ever.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Quitting my shitty job and making a huge change that I needed in my life.  I also managed to commit to someone else without paralyzing fear.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Putting myself in situations that could've been avoided completely with pre-emptive measures.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I've had a few food-related sicknesses and my first ever bladder infection, but nothing too serious.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My red vinyl kitten heels.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Definitely my parents'.  They swallowed their fears and decided to come here to visit me.  I'm so proud of them for taking a step outside of their box, and I really hope they enjoy it.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Coworkers and fellow foreigners in this country.  We've come to refer to them as "First-world rejects". They get this name because of their personality; they would never be able to succeed in their home country, or find a meaningful relationship or hold a decent job or even complete any sort of education.  They are the trimmed fat of their homes and they come here to buy a wife.  It's disgusting.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being in a relationship for over a year without panicking and scratching frantically for a way out.  Also, it ends up that teaching Kindergarten is extremely rewarding, and it's fun to make projects for little kids and play stupid games.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Hotel California, because it's basically the only English song I've heard more than once since May.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier, same weight, definitely poorer in the bank, but richer in spirit.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I can't think of anything to put here.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I wish I could have dealt with a lot less bullshit gossip in the workplace.  I hate how everyone treats each other and feels like they have something to prove.  The lower their self esteem, the more trouble they cause for everyone.  This make the workplace a little less enjoyable and a lot more tense.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas Day riding a bus to laos.

21. Did you meet/date anyone special in 2008?
I have a lot of students that it will break my heart to leave behind in a few months.

23. How many one-night stands?
None.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Arrested Development re-runs and Dexter Season 3

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
A few of my former coworkers have really come to grind my gears.

26. What was the best book you read?
Non-Fiction

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Fratellis and Zooey Deschanel

28. What did you want and get?
I wanted a big change in my life.  I *needed* a big change.

29. What did you want and not get?
I wanted argyle shoes.  I have not yet acquired these.

30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Religulous

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Mexican food, then out to Soi Cowboy and rode a mechanical bull with some hookers.  I turned 22.

32. What's one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Seeing Ong Bak 2 in the theater here in Thailand.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Growing up, but keeping it fresh.

34. What kept you sane?
Instant messaging, our excellent neighbours, cute kitties and my adorable students.



35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Christian Bale, as usual.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Definitely Obama's election.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
My awesome new homeroom teacher, Lani.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
It's ok to make mistakes, and it's even more acceptable to do what you need to do to fix them.  Live on your terms and no one elses'.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I promise you, it won't happen again!"

2 comments:

Lojo Beautiful said...

My first thought when I saw the photo of that first world reject was, I want to shit on his face.

twitch said...

He might like it, though. He looks like the type. Fuck I hate creeps.