Monday, January 7, 2008

This isn't "Engrish" necessarily...

However, it does have to do with butchering the English language, which is pretty closely related.
I'm going to say it right out: I HATE KANYE WEST AND HIS SONG 'STRONGER'.
That's right, people. Hate. I hate it. And maybe it's just I've had enough.

I think what I hate the most is how "artists" are stealing. And it's not so much the getting away with it that bothers me. What bothers me is that they're receiving praise for plagiarism. Last time I checked, something like that would get me kicked out of University. Remember the "Ice Ice Baby" incident? Pretty sure that ruined careers. Now, a few years later, people are doing exactly the same thing and people are LOVING it.

I first started to notice this when Madonna used the ABBA's "Gimme gimme gimme" melody in the background of her song "Hung up".
Then Gwen Stefani used some samples from The Sound of Music soundtrack in "Wind it Up" and Rhianna used "Tainted Love". It's been getting steadily worse and I have heard people (on more than one occasion, mind you) talk about how original and awesome it is for these "artists" to be adding these samples to their "music" and making them "way better". The latest of these culprits I've noticed to be Kanye "Jesus Christ" West.

In this "music" video, he actually uses the word wronger. I'm not an English teacher [yet] but I'm quite certain this is not a word.

'emerican667' had this to say about the video:
"kanye west is a good musician. his ego and arogance [sic] kills it though."

I fail to see the musicianship involved in sampling Daft Punk and using words that don't exist. [See above: wronger]
Kanye West, and countless other popular artists seem to be single-handedly fooling an entire generation of people into thinking they're "musicians".

Not to mention; how did Daft Punk let this happen? Luckily for them, I know two REAL words and I'm about to use them -- sell and out. As if the GAP commercial wasn't bad enough... really guys. Give your heads a shake.


And so,

I ask, because I'm not sure; does anybody make real music anymore?

1 comment:

Dylan Laine said...

So fucking true!!! GAWD!!! I seriously hate him!!! it's just ridiculous!!!